Friday, February 3, 2012

"Classy" Casual Giraffe Dress

Nice classy casual dress, isn't it?
Except SURPRISE!! There are green and purple giraffes parading across the skirt!

Ever since I started sewing, I've slowly built a me-made wardrobe of a very particular category: dresses with fitted bodices and full skirts from unlikely woven materials. I decided I really don't need any more; to that end I've been working on using more knits, different silhouettes, and non-dresses. But when it comes down to it, I need to be realistic about my wardrobe. Much as I love those tiny waisted dresses with a retro feel, when I'm bumming around the house I pull out my dresses with elastic waists. A couple of these are getting near the end of their can-still-wear-them-out-in-public lifespan, so I figured that for this week's Sew Weekly Challenge, Down Under (sew for the opposite season), I would make an elastic-waisted casual summer dress. Nice and easy, right? Especially in light of some upcoming projects I have in the works.

I drew from these RTW dresses as inspiration: summer casual but still classy-looking, not too beachy, loose and blouse-y but still with defined waists.

L-R: Modcloth, J.Crew, Anthro, Forever 21.


I didn't even bother sketching a pattern for this dress (and maybe it shows); I just cut out an oversized A-line dress with a hint of a cap sleeve. I decided that since this wasn't a technically demanding dress, I would finish ALL my inside seams with seam binding. Probably a good idea, as my fabric was some mysterious blend from the thrift store, and while not extremely ravelly, it was definitely less stable than my normal bed sheet. I added the elastic band at the waist, and then just to complicate things a bit more, added a band under the giraffes for more visual interest. Except that the busyness of the print makes it difficult to tell that there's a band of fabric, and not just more crazy dots.

See, there really is another band of fabric! Still not as neat as it could be,
but hopefully this dress will stand up to the wash like a champ.


My just-wing-it approach meant that it turned out much blousier than I was expecting, but with a wide elastic belt it's still fine. Not quite as classy as my inspiration pieces, seeing as how there are giraffes marching across the bottom, but hey, it will go into my growing collection of African-mammal-print-clothing.

Birds of paradise feel extra-summery, right?
Not that it doesn't feel like summer right now anyway. I think we've had maybe two weeks of winter so far.


Summery Summary:
Fabric: 2 yards of mystery thrifted fabric of some kind; excellent drape, stands up to pressing on quite a high heat setting, but doesn't hold a very sharp crease, pretty matte surface with some texture, feels fairly substantial (not like an actual rayon)...any ideas? I almost didn't buy it, because I was wondering if the colors and dots looked too old-ladyish, but Shayna talked me into it. I'm so glad she did!
Notions: Bias tape for the neckline, seam binding, elastic. I feel like I haven't sewn a zipper in ages...love it!
Hours: Somewhere in the range of 4-5 hours. The dress itself is pretty simple, but I put seam binding on everything, and since I only have pink seam binding, I had to keep stopping to switch thread colors.
Techniques used: Seam binding? Zigzagging elastic? Does that really count?
Will you make this again?  Only if I find a suitably drapey and hard-wearing fabric. I think this would look way too poofy in a woven cotton. It's a super easy dress and comfy to boot.
Total cost: I already had all the notions leftover from other projects, so just $3 for the fabric!
Final thoughts? I love that the top looks nice and normal, but then there are giraffes on it! But it's still a more serious animal print than my hippo dress. The dark colors mean that while this is supposed to be a summer dress, I can add tights and boots and a cardigan if need be for winter. I'm really glad that I finished all the insides, as I expect to be wearing it quite a bit. My husband likes it, and isn't embarrassed by it, so that's always a plus.

The insides! I finally used up the last of my stash of purple bias tape! Yes!!! *fist pump*


 
Just to rub in the fact that winter in SoCal feels like summer: it was warm enough for some afternoon shaved ice!
 
In other news, my very kind husband said that I could order the Astoria shoes for myself as an early Valentine's Day present. I think that gets him off the hook for not only V-Day, but birthday and Christmas this year!

30 comments:

  1. This is exactly the style of dress I have been wanting to make!I love this style. It's perfect for everyday. I am actually making a similar dress tonight to the dress you made with split arms from last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this style is perfect for looking more or less put together, but still comfortable. I'll be on the lookout for your split armed dress on your blog!

      Delete
  2. YAY for giraffes! I love how they are running around the border of this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Unfortunately, I didn't have enough fabric or foresight to match the fabric, so I have a couple of headless giraffes in there.

      Delete
  3. I like it too; it looks like the Burdastyle Anda, which I actually paid for two years ago when I started sewing because I didn't realize people could just draw their own patterns (duh).
    And husband not being embarrassed? Priceless! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely thinking about the many cute Anda dresses on Burdastyle when I drew this up. You totally caught me!

      Delete
  4. I love all your cool prints! A lot of people think elastic waists aren't flattering but if they're placed right they can be super comfy, you're looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I love cool prints and elastic waists! Although I'm still working out where is the best placement for elastic waists; I've been hiding flaws with strategically placed belts.

      Delete
  5. I love the giraffe fabric! And, I'd absolutely wear that dress to work (I teach 6th grade science). I'd have to wear a cardigan, since I prefer more substantial sleeves, even in warmer months, but the giraffes would be on full display! And, I continue to remain impressed by your skills of making a dress without a pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, with my recent spate of dresses, I could definitely channel Miss Frizzle of the Magic School Bus! And really, making dresses without a pattern is a lot easier than it sounds, as long as you apply your analytical skills to breaking down what aspects of well-loved dresses are most flattering.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, adorable! Love the giraffes. Why doesn't my wardrobe include more giraffes?

    Ah, yes, I don't wear prints. They're still awesome.

    Also, I am burning with a slow, searing envy, not only over your weather (I mean, it's been close to 50F here this week, so I can't exactly complain) but your ability to wear elastic-waist anything. That gathered, blousy look is my nemesis... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could just invest in a small robotic giraffe to follow you around everywhere; then you wouldn't need to wear prints :)

      I think I would trade the ability to wear elastic waists (which is a dubious superhero quality) for your ability to make and wear skinny jeans any day! But no, can't complain about the weather here. I think having grown up in CA makes me a wimp...the thought of 50F being decent is horrifying to me.

      Delete
  7. I love the giraffes, and how clever of you to make your own pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Like I said earlier, making your own patterns is not that hard once you suck it up and just do it.

      Delete
  8. What a cute dress! I love unexpected woven dresses....

    !!!! I'm so jealous about the Astorias!!! I'm waiting to order mine until after I start teaching again (and therefore have the cash)... Are you getting black or ivory??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think my wardrobe is starting to be almost entirely unexpected dresses. I'm getting the black Astorias, just because I think they'll be more useful. Also, my track record with light-colored footwear is pretty horrendous. I somehow manage to kick myself constantly without noticing while walking.

      Delete
    2. Yeah! What's with the self-kick-walk? I do that too somehow...

      I kind of want red AND black ones... but the red comse first, then I can decide...

      Delete
  9. Yay, giraffes! I really like this dress-- the proportion of giraffe print to regular classy print is perfect. And pigtails, I see? *grins* I approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your approval! Although one might argue that I should really start dressing and hairdressing in a slightly more mature manner.

      Delete
  10. Your clothes make me smile. And your pattern turned out really well. Keep up the drafting!

    We've been enjoying our unseasonably warm weather here, too. (That means just below freezing, heh!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I've been spoiled for sure, here in SoCal. *blows warm air your way*

      Delete
  11. Your style always makes me smile! A positively fantastic dress, my friend - love those giraffes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this. I think giraffes are extremely classy. Tan and brown? That's effortlessly chic. And black tongues? Nothing so vulgar as pink, that would be so common.

    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this! It's adorable! I'm so glad you decided to buy the fabric! I think the dress turned out very nicely:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you made your own pattern. The few times I tried ended up dreadful messed, and I squashed the tortured fabric at the bottom of my pile so I wouldn't have to deal with it! That's the reason why I hide inside my A-line shifts - I simply have too many flaws to hide!

    And I'm deeply envious of your ability to wear (and look fab in) tiny waisted dresses. I really want my waist back! Thank you for your very kind comments btw - I am so happy I stumbled upon your profile on Burda - chinese seamstresses are a rare breed! you are so not creepy - I was so afraid I was being creepy myself! I too adore your quirky fashion sense - the giraffes fit right in there! I think we might actually be kindred spirits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a matter of figuring out what patterns you can successfully draft...I've tried shift dresses before and always end up belting them because they don't look good on me. And yes, it's so nice to meet another quirky Chinese seamstress! I totally agree on the kindred spirits thing!

      Delete
  15. OK, I have to admit I skipped past the thumbnails of this on Sew Weekly half a dozen times. Now I see that it has giraffes! Gah! It's so adorable! We can have coordinating Wild Animal wardrobes.


    I've also got a thing about animal print fabric. I've got the pachyderm skirt, and a vintage giraffe print just waiting for inspiration, and a crazy elephant and kangaroo print that I made an equally crazy shift dress out of. And more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at first glance it's not super exciting...but then there are giraffes! I am totally looking to make a wild animal wardrobe (I'm hoping to find sharks next!). I just found your pachyderm skirt while looking for examples of 1910s dresses (?!), but I would love to see your other ones!

      Also, it's thanks to people like you, who have impeccable insides, that I'm trying to be better about my insides.

      Delete
  16. Also forgot to add how much I love that you are showing off the insides now. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute! I am also a sucker for a fun jungle-animal print.

    I made a jungle print dress, which I love, but rarely wear.
    http://madebytrisha.blogspot.com/2010/03/rawr-jungle-print-dress-is-alive.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.