Friday, February 3, 2012

February Already?

I feel like Sir Anthony right now.

It's already been February for two whole days! I can't believe how quickly 2012 is going by already!

Right. Um. Flailing aside, here's my roundup of some of my favorite things from teh interwebs from the month of January:
  • This thoughtful article from Wearing History about the importance of making things with your hands. It expresses perfectly how I feel every time people say, you made that? Oh but I could never do that! You just have to start somewhere!
  • Even though I haven't used the Consulting Dressmaker service, I am really excited that it exists. One day, when I actually try something really hard and complicated, I will rest assured that Steph will solve all my problems.
  • Like maybe when I tackle things from the Vintage Pattern Lending Library's 1912 project. My pattern should be available for download any day now!! I am crossing my fingers hoping it's something Lady Mary would wear.
  • Speaking of Lady Mary's outfits, this awesome collection of all the screencaps ever from Downton Abbey. I can look at every costume now! Like in the above picture: I had no idea that the back of that very popular dress made little chevrons.
  • Okay, last DA link, promise: this xkcd comic about the most common male mistake regarding DA.
  • Totally random, but this company will put a picture of you on a dinosaur for $50.
  • Just kidding! I have a few more hours to decide if I want to order these perfect-for-DA shoes from American Duchess
  • Not strictly DA-related, so I'm letting this one slide: this is an AMAZING collection of photos of the insides (boning in the waist! a million hooks and eyes! circular weights!) of an authentic Edwardian gown. This lovely lady bought one and generously shared the kind of pictures that seamstresses want to see, not just the pretty outsides shown on museum websites.
  •  The official LOTR Lego!!! Pictures of the minifigs (falsely articulated, I'm assuming), and sneak peeks at the actual sets. AAAAHHH CANNOT WAIT. I think I will need every one of these. And then I'll have to make space somewhere on my bookcase to display them all.
I also just received my Janet Arnold Patterns of Fashion 2:1860-1940 this week, and I'm totally in love. Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me! Also thanks to my generous husband, who gave up a lunch hour to take a survey in order to get a $25 Amazon gift card, which is just enough for the book! Seriously, this guy is way better than Handmade Ryan Gosling.


5 comments:

  1. Brilliant wrap up and omg. so excited about the LOTR legos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the mention...! I'm having a lot of fun figuring out this service, but so far it's worked well...

    Ooooh! I'm going to have to go check out the Downton screencaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cashmere wrap is amazing! I hope you get a lot of wear out of it.

    And I can't believe they are finally making LOTR legos! My boys have been complaining for years. It just made no sense to them that LOTR legos didn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of which, whey is there no LOTR fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I looked at Lego rolling out Prince of Persia, POTC, Harry Potter, and hoped it would just be a matter of time before they got the licensing for LOTR. My hypothesis about the lack of LOTR fabric is 1) since it's not a cartoon, but live-action, it's just more difficult to reproduce the images, 2) it's not aimed at children per se, so no need for themed bedsheets, which is my major source of themed fabric, and 3) the author isn't alive, which makes negotiations for rights and everything trickier. Or I might be totally wrong! At any rate, I'm crossing my fingers for some Hobbit-themed sheets.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.