Thursday, April 5, 2012

I Promise, Sewing Has Been Happening

It's not just been all making up ridiculous blog awards and drawing on the iPad here, it's just that the sewing I've done hasn't been photographable yet. The pair of bodies was coming along swimmingly (if somewhat tediously -- all those boning channels!) until I discovered that I was three bones short. And hardware stores aren't open round the clock, so I had to wait to get more cable ties. Also, does anyone else find it awesome that there are bones in my pair of bodies? I love sewing terminology!

I've also been working on my Easter dress, which I'm not even sure it will be warm enough to wear on Sunday, as I will be going back to The City for my brother's baptism. And everyone knows that, as Mark Twain never actually said, the coldest winter is a summer in San Francisco. What that makes April in SF, I don't know, but let's just say that my Easter dress is a flimsy little unlined cotton thing. But! It has sleeves! Of sorts. And it's got a slim skirt! So there you have it, at least it's not a repeat of every other dress I've made, ever.

Speaking of which, a hearty thanks to all of you who had such nice things to say about my failed Peggy dress, and who encouraged me to go on making the same type of dress if that's what suits my figure best. I'm still not sure what I think, as there's a tiny niggling voice in the back of my head that says if I'm not moving on to trousers and coats in silk and wool, I'm not progressing as a seamstress. If only the thrift stores here in The City of Culver City sold bedsheets made of more challenging and sumptuous fabrics, and not just cotton-poly blends! I do have one piece of very nice thrifted wool yardage, but it's just too daunting to think about just yet -- the pre-steaming, the thick seams, the fact that I would have to use a suitably nice lining and not just muslin, the unlikelihood of ever thrifting more if I mess up, and oh, that it's going to be summer soon? It's so much easier to just sew up fun sundresses that average $5 apiece. Tanit-Isis was right, this is the absolute worst time of year to be swearing off sleeveless sundresses.

Please excuse my prattling. Here, have some pictures of animals behaving cutely instead (courtesy of our trip to the SD zoo for spring break):

Polar bear butt! *snicker* It's swimming with a bone!
Elephants hanging out in an awfully futuristic-looking enclosure. It looks like a Planet of the Elephants movie or something.
But if you zoom in, it turns out that the elephant on the left is actually telling a hilarious joke to the other elephant,
who is not amused at all.

Or maybe the elephant was just reciting some of Ogden Nash's ridiculously clever poetry about other zoo animals:

The Lion 
Oh, weep for Mr. and Mrs. Bryan!
He was eaten by a lion;
Following which, the lion's lioness
Up and swallowed Bryan's Bryaness. 

The Panther
The panther is like a leopard,
Except it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don't anther.

And lest you think I am too felid-obsessed:

The Praying Mantis
From whence arrived the praying mantis?
From outer space, or lost Atlantis?
I glimpse the grim, green metal mug
That masks this pseudo-saintly bug,
Orthopterous, also carnivorous,
And faintly whisper, Lord deliver us. 


I do love me some cleverly rhymed poems.

11 comments:

  1. Oooh! Historical costuming! That is DEFINITELY moving on in sewing, just in a different way. It doesn't have to be all trousers and coats to be exciting. Can't wait to see your pair of bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am nervous about posting my bodies on the blog for your and Lauren's scrutiny! But yes, I had forgotten about that whole historical costuming thing when I wrote about pants and progress. Not really sure how that's possible, when they have been haunting my dreams for the last couple of weeks, but there you have it.

      Delete
  2. Aww I love those pictures they are adorable! I hope you have a great time and fingers crossed the weather will be warm enough! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although it looks like it will be raining on Sunday...boo!

      Delete
  3. Oh, goodness, I think you are TOTALLY progressing as a seamstress! You are making CORSETS. With BONING. That's amazing! Pants are whatever, man. You are lucky enough to live in a lovely and rarely cold climate, embrace that gift! If I lived where you live I would make sundresses all the time. Have a lovely time in San Fransisco, it may be cold, but it's pretty!

    Check out this website. Animals are the best:http://animalstalkinginallcaps.tumblr.com/

    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. There is truly a tumblr for everything.

      I have decided to just embrace LA and its weather for the next year or so that we are here, as I reason that there is plenty of time to learn to make pants once I move to San Francisco.

      Delete
    2. Are you moving, maybe? That's exciting!

      Delete
  4. You always need at least a sweatshirt in SF. Always cold and breezy! Well except that one time I took my daughter to a concert on a pier and it was like 100. That was a cruel day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just like SF to do that, isn't it? Scare you with all its tales of fog and such, then BAM! Hit you with a stiflingly hot day!

      Delete
  5. Hmmm... I think "progressing as a seamstress" is overrated. That said, you are clearly progressing - two words: embroidered. eyelets. Anyway, I love your sundresses and your other things too, but make what makes you happy. I know that I'm perfectly fine not advancing my skills in leaps and bounds... mostly I just want to get faster at making the things I can already make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the permission to grow slowly! I think I need to remember that I have my whole life ahead of my to learn more sewing techniques, and I don't need to rush it all in now. I appreciate your kind words so much!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.