Thursday, December 31, 2015

This Year's Christmas Projects

I knew the holidays would be busy this year, so I started my Christmas crafting early. As is tradition, there was LOTR-related crafting, this time in the form of painted and wood-burned ornaments:

The Eye of Sauron, painted on a papier mache blank sphere from Michael's (this makes three eyes now in my living room, all ominously watching everything), and JRR Tolkien's monogram and the White Tree of Gondor. 

Things got kitschy and punny real fast when I used the free Sewaholic Stanley Tree pattern to make a chemis-tree out of leftover science-y fabric:

SHB really enjoys hitting it because all the bells jangle madly.


I also made little felt ornaments for my brother and sister:

For my sister, a paramedic in training: a Gumbulance (ambulance on one side, her crazy orange cat Gummy on the other). For my brother, a car enthusiast: a Fenxibaru (the Subaru logo on one side, and his sleeping cat Fenxi on the other). There were many hours of meticulous cutting and blanket stitching. 


And then my mother-in-law unexpectedly passed away and all plans got thrown out the window. While I had the fabric purchased for several weeks, I didn't get around to making Mr. Cation's and SHB's matching Warriors jammies until a few days after Christmas. Thankfully, elastic waist pants are just about the easiest thing to sew, so I was done with both pairs in an afternoon. I'll wager it took longer to actually get a decent picture of them together, because SHB was having a hyper morning. Oh wait, that's every morning. And afternoon. And evening. And unfortunately, sometimes night. 

"Could you stop running around for just two minutes?" 
"Maybe it's easier if we just get Walnut into position first."
"No, this is not easier, because I can't chase him down with a cat in my lap."
I place toddler in Dad's lap. He chooses that moment to imitate a fish flipping out on the line, fighting for its life.
Let's try this again. "Look, I've got a basketball! Don't you want to come get it?"
(Also, check out my not-thought-through pattern placement on SHB's butt. The two Warriors logos slightly overlapped make...a butt. Good thing he's a toddler and nobody will care.)
Toddler tries to ram his head into Daddy's armpit, cat leaves. 
"Okay, sit in Daddy's lap. Walnut, come here."
"Try to look happy, everyone! Dangit, Walnut, I can't see your face."
Toddler seizes the ball, cat decides he's done.
Thankfully, he settles down not too far away. I think this is as good as it's going to get.
Attempts at a brothers' photo work slightly better because Daddy can help wrangle both boys. 

I had plans to make more LOTR-themed gifts for SHB, but those will have to wait until I have time. Let's just hope that I get to make them before he gets too old to enjoy what I have in mind! 

In the meantime, SHB continues trying to bug his older brother into playing ball with him. Typical little brother. 


16 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your mother in law. I wish you a great 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your kind wishes are very appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, that photo series!!!!! That cracked me right up. Your felt ornaments are amazing, and I always enjoy seeing what new LOTR stuff you'll come up with! I hope 2016 is a happy one for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're not sick of LOTR crafting yet! Every year I wonder if this is the last year I do it, but then I laugh and think no way I'm stopping now!

      Delete
  3. the one sock on SHB was the icing on that photo series :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't notice it til afterwards when I was editing the photos. *sigh* Oh, toddlers.

      Delete
  4. LOL! Such a great sequence of photos - the captions, the facial expressions, the logo butt! Too funny! And I love all the ornaments you made!

    So sorry about your mother-in-law. I hope the New Year brings happier times and more great photos!

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooke! I really appreciate your always taking the time to reach out via comment or IG!

      Delete
  5. Great family photos, and the felt ornaments are really cute! I really like that they are two-sided.

    So sorry to hear about your sad news, though. My condolences for your mother in law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. (The only problem with making them two-sided is trying to get the two sides the same size! I did so much trimming and retrimming!)

      Delete
  6. Just discovered your blog while looking for Edwardian info...love your obvious sense of humor & joie de vivre. The family photos are adorable...Walnut is too freakin' cute as the Big Brother! I am sorry about the loss of your mother-in-law; hopefully 2016 will be full of much happiness for all of you. Thanks for your blog...it's really very good--great ideas & projects...and so much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment! I am glad that you enjoyed the blog and I'm afraid there isn't actually very much Edwardian info here!

      Delete
  7. OMG, I love your sense of fun and whimsy! And that "warriors butt" is too funny! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad it's a funny butt! When I first realized I had a pretty major *headdesk* moment.

      Delete
  8. so sorry about your Mother in Law. Praying for you guys.

    Those were the most precious Daddy-kid pictures :)
    Your pyrography pendants are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos, the matching trousers are very sweet (though I don't know who the Warriors are - I'm British - are they an American Football team?).

    So sorry about your mother-in-law, I hope the whole family are ok. Very best wishes for 2016

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.